Posted on April 29, 2021
Learn how to scan a QR code — and receive a special offer
You’ve probably seen QR codes before — those modern-looking barcodes used to redeem a coupon or concert ticket, make a payment, send a text message, save a contact or download an app.
They’ve taken a long time to catch on, but they’re popping up all over the place these days. So how can you use them? It’s very simple, and everything you need is right there in your phone.
In this week’s tip, we’ll teach you how to scan a QR code — then give you the chance to redeem a great offer with a special CREDO QR code!
The “QR” in QR code is short for “quick response,” and these codes were actually invented almost 30 years ago by a subsidiary of Toyota. Unlike traditional barcodes that can only store a small amount of data, QR codes can store up to 4,000 characters of text, making them very useful for modern mobile phone applications, like redirecting to a website or app store, verifying login details or displaying other information on your screen.
Today, QR codes are used in a variety of ways for mobile users to access information or automatically visit a web address just by pointing your phone’s camera at the code and letting your device do the rest.
How to scan a QR code from your Apple device
All newer iOS versions can automatically recognize QR codes straight from your device’s camera app, without needing to download a third-party app.
- Open your Camera app.
- Make sure you’ve selected the rear facing camera.
- Point the camera in the direction of the QR code and ensure it appears in the viewfinder.
- Once your device recognizes the QR code (no need to click the shutter button), a notification should pop up. Click on the notification to open the link.
How to scan a QR code from your Android device
Scanning QR codes is just as easy from an Android device, but because of the various manufacturers and operating system versions, there aren’t one-size-fits-all instructions.
If you have Android version 7 or below, you will likely need a third-party app to scan a QR code. (Head over to the Google Play store to find one.)
If you have version 8 or higher, you probably do not need a third-party app. Instead, you can use Google Lens to scan your QR code (download here). Here’s how to do that:
- Press and hold down the home button to bring up the Assistant.
- The Lens button may automatically appear. Press it. If not, click the dots at the bottom and the Lens button should appear.
- Point your camera at the QR code and ensure the entire code remains in your viewfinder.
- Google Lens should be able to automatically identify the QR code.
- A popup notification should appear. Click the notification to follow the link.
Now, try scanning a QR code yourself
If you’re on your phone right now, visit this blog post from your computer.
Depending on the model of your phone, use the instructions above and point your phone to the QR code below: