Posted on January 16, 2024
Finishing with impact: CREDO Mobile closes 2023 with a rush of positive change
In a lot of ways, 2023 was a tough year. Those of us who care about progressive change and work for it every day watched as the world seemed to spin backward on many fronts—political, social, environmental.
We saw “leaders” amplifying hate and attacking the rights of women and minorities. We saw economic inequality surge to the point where the richest 1% in the U.S. now own more wealth than the entire middle class. We saw global heating emerge as a force that could soon end our existence on Earth.
That’s the bad news. But amid it all there was good news as well. Progressives fought and won important victories for climate justice, women’s rights, economic fairness and numerous other causes.
Here at CREDO Mobile, we made a lot of good news ourselves. We powered positive change around the world, doing it through our unique—and uniquely effective—donations program, which each month grants much-needed funding to three progressive nonprofit groups working day in and day out for the causes we believe in.
To date, we’ve donated over $95 million to hundreds of nonprofits in the issue areas of economic justice, voting rights, climate justice, civil rights, women’s rights and peace.
Our dollars made change in 2023
In the second half of 2023, we donated to these 18 nonprofits.
These groups are achieving real wins for progressive causes in part due to the donations they’ve received from CREDO Mobile. Here are just a few of the victories they’ve won recently.
- Amazon Watch pressed President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva to veto a right-wing attempt to restrain the rising strength of Indigenous peoples in Brazil. This was a critical win for Indigenous rights and for the Amazon rainforest.
- The ACLU educated and energized voters to go to the polls in November and played a key role in winning election victories in Ohio, Kentucky and Virginia that bolster the right of women to make their own decisions about whether and when to have a child, without interference from judges and politicians.
- Stand.earth continued to press for institutions to divest from the fossil fuel industry and, in December, announced that Swiss pension fund CPEG, the UK’s Wiltshire Pension Fund and the largest private pension fund in the Netherlands had joined the divestment movement. More than 1,600 institutions, representing $40.6 trillion in assets, have now cut ties with fossil fuel companies.
- Social Security Works helped expose House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) as an enemy of Social Security who wants to raise the retirement age, cut benefits and force women to have babies so the ultra-wealthy can continue avoiding their fair share of Social Security contributions.
- The Brennan Center for Justice developed bold solutions to ensure that every eligible American can cast a ballot and worked across the U.S. to defend democracy by making voting more free, fair and easy.
Help us make more positive change in 2024
The CREDO Mobile donations program is simple yet powerful, raising real money and driving real victories for progressive causes.
It works this way. When our customers use our service, they generate funds for the program. At the end of each month, we take those funds and grant them to three nonprofit groups dedicated to progressive change. Then, the next month, we do it again.
These donations cost our customers nothing extra. But they mean everything to the groups we support. If you’re a CREDO Mobile customer, thank you.
If you’re not a customer, please consider joining our movement and helping us make more progressive change in 2024. It’s easy to do. You can bring the phone you have now. You can choose from a variety of affordable plans to suit you—same as the other carriers. And you can enjoy service on the nation’s top-rated network.