Posted on September 1, 2022
Need to scan a document? You can do it from your smartphone for free
We’ve all been there: You need to scan a document to sign, send or save — but honestly, who has an actual scanner at home?
Luckily, you can scan all of your important documents safely and securely right from your smartphone.
In this week’s tip, we’ll give you a few quick steps to scan and save documents on your iPhone and Android device for free.
Scanning documents from your iOS device
You can easily scan documents from your iPhone or iPad from right inside the Notes app. Here’s how to scan documents from your iOS device:
- Open the Notes app . If you can’t find the Notes app, search for it by swiping down from the middle of the home screen (on older devices, you might need to swipe right). Tap the search bar, start typing “Notes,” then open the app.
- Create a new Note or open an existing Note.
- Tap the Camera button , then tap Scan Documents
- Hold your phone over the document or object you want to scan and follow the instructions on the screen (for example, your device may ask you to move closer or farther away).
- If Auto is enabled, your device should automatically scan. If not, manually press the shutter button . Drag the corners to adjust the scanned area, and press Keep Scan. Then, scan a new document to add to the Note or press Save.
- In order to use the document outside of the Notes app, you may want to send it to yourself or someone else. To do that, tap the More button to bring up a list of commands, including Send a Copy.
Scanning documents from your Android device
Scanning documents and saving them as PDF files from your Android device is just as simple. Here’s how: