How to transfer your data to a new smartphone
It’s one of the most common questions we get: How do I transfer all the data and information from my old smartphone to my brand new or gently used phone?
The good news is that moving your information to a new phone these days is really easy — and only takes a few simple steps to get up and running on your new device.
In this week’s tip — just in time for the brand new iPhone 13 — we’ll run through how to transfer your data and settings to a new device in a few easy steps.
Moving data from your old iOS device to a new iPhone or iPad
Apple has made moving your data from one phone to another incredibly easy with a system called “Quick Start.” Here’s how to automatically move your important data to your new device.
Before you start:
- Have your Apple ID and password ready.
- If you have an Apple Watch, unpair it from your old phone.
- Make sure you have a backup of your old device before beginning. Here’s how to back up your phone.
Transfer your data (courtesy of Apple)
- Choose a time when you will not need to use both your old and new devices. The process may take a little while.
- Plug in both devices; ensure your old phone is turned on. Place both devices near each other, and turn on your new device.
- A screen appears on your current device that offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new device. Make sure that it’s the Apple ID that you want to use, then tap Continue. If you don’t see the option to continue on your current device, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
- Wait for an animation to appear on your new device. Hold your current device over the new device, then center the animation in the viewfinder.
- Wait for a message that says Finish on New [Device]. If you can’t use your current device’s camera, tap Authenticate Manually, then follow the onscreen steps.
- When asked, enter your current device’s passcode on your new device. Then follow the instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new device.
- When you see the Transfer Data from [Device] screen, tap Continue to begin transferring your data from your previous device to your new device. Or you can tap Other Options to transfer apps, data, and settings from your most recent iCloud backup or transfer from a backup on your computer.
Quick note: This method is only available if your devices are running iOS 11 or later (Here’s how to check).
Moving data from your old Android device to a new one
Transferring your data from an old Android to a new one is just as easy. You will still need to backup your old phone, but the process to transfer your data is quite simple.
Before you begin:
- Charge both phones
- Double-check that you are able to unlock the old device
- On your old phone, go to Settings and sign in with your Google account.
- Backup your data: Go to Settings > System > Backup, then choose Backup Now > Continue. (Note that these instructions may be different depending on your device’s manufacturer)
Transfer your data (courtesy of Google)
- Turn on your new phone.
- Tap Start. If you don’t see “Start,” you can copy your data manually.
- When asked, choose to copy apps and data from your old phone.
- If you have a cable to connect your phones, follow the on-screen instructions to copy your data.
- If you don’t have a cable:
- Tap No cable? > Ok.
- Tap A backup from an Android phone.
- To copy your data, follow the on-screen instructions.
If you are having trouble, you can copy your data manually from one phone to the other. Here’s how.
How to transfer your data from iOS to Android — or Android to iOS
Some new and existing CREDO members sometimes make the switch from Android to a new iPhone, or vice-versa. While transferring data to a new operating system isn’t difficult, it does involve a few extra steps.
That’s why we have a separate blog post to walk you through this painless migration. Check out our previous post “How to migrate your phone’s data from Android to Apple iOS — and back.”