Feel Good Opening Your Wallet For These 12 Eco-Friendly Companies
As a CREDO member, you understand how important it is to shop with brands that share your values and the influence you wield when making regular purchases every day.
One way to use your wallet as a weapon for good is by purchasing from eco-friendly brands that care for the environment, promote conservation efforts and fight for climate justice. We’ve compiled a list of companies you can feel pretty good opening your wallet for while doing good for the planet.
Note: Some of these brands may be owned by parent companies that may not share your values, but we are including them here because of the brands’ work to help save our planet.
- Patagonia not only makes great outdoor clothing and gear, they give 1% of their sales to environmental organizations fighting for the planet and promote the activism of their grantees with Patagonia Action Works.
- Taylor Jay is a Black woman-owned fashion brand based in Oakland, CA that produces environmentally-friendly clothing from certified eco-friendly materials. The company prides itself on inclusivity and female empowerment to ensure all women feel comfortable in their clothing.
- Pela is the first company to make 100% compostable cases and accessories for iPhone and Android phones — with a goal of preventing 1 billion pounds of plastic from being made and creating a waste-free future.
- Who Gives a Crap sells toilet paper made from recycled material and “forest friendly” paper towels made from a blend of bamboo and sugarcane. They also donate 50% of their profits to build toilets in the developing world for people who do not have adequate water or sanitation.
- Tom’s of Maine is famous for their natural toothpastes, deodorants and soaps. But did you know their toothpaste tubes are completely recyclable? They also donate 10% of their profits to national nonprofits like the Nature Conservancy and to community efforts in their home state of Maine.
- Tentree makes eco-friendly clothing and accessories from sustainable and organic materials, and its name is derived from its mission: The company will plant 10 trees for every product you purchase, with a goal of planting one billion trees by 2030. So far, they’ve planted 30 million trees in 8 countries.
- Ben & Jerry’s produces some of the best tasting ice cream on the market while advocating for progressive causes, like democracy reform, LGBTQ and racial equality and, of course, climate justice and the environment. Their foundation gives $2.5 million each year to social and environmental causes in Vermont and across the country.
- Clif Bar is known for their snack bars and other “energy” food products that are ethically sourced and climate conscious. They’ve partnered with American Forests to help restore forest habitats on public lands with a goal to plant 1 million trees by 2025, and its family foundation supports “small and mid-sized nonprofits working to strengthen our food system and communities, enhance public health, and safeguard our environment and natural resources.
- Planet Dog is a socially-conscious and eco-friendly maker of dog toys and products. They are a founding member of the Pet Sustainability Coalition (PSC), an organization that helps pet industry businesses operate in a sustainable and socially-conscious way.
- Imperfect Foods is an “ugly” food delivery service that sustainably sources and sells blemished, surplus, off-spec yet otherwise perfectly healthy and safe food. Their business model reduces food waste and helps farmers to help create a better food system.
- Reformation is a sustainable fashion brand with a “climate positive” mission. The company has been carbon and waste neutral since 2015; now, it plans to remove more carbon from the environment than it emits by 2025.
- BONUS#1: CREDO Mobile not only provides great phones on the nation’s best network, we empower our members to protect the planet every day just by using our products. Since 1985, we’ve donated over $19.5 million to groups fighting for climate justice, like Rainforest Action Network, Sunrise Movement, 350.org and Earthjustice. If you’re ready to help do your part to save the planet — and save some money — by purchasing a refurbished device, you’re in luck! Shop our smartphone selection and save on a new phone while supporting progressive causes, at no extra cost to you!
- BONUS#2: CREDO Energy provides clean, renewable energy. It’s a great way to downsize your carbon footprint.