AT&T vs. CREDO: Claims and Sources
- AT&T donated $2.7 million to 193 anti-LGBTQ politicians, including Ted Cruz and Marsha Blackburn
AT&T can rainbow-stripe its logo for Pride Month, wave the rainbow flag and claim it supports the LGBTQ community, but none of those things can make up for the fact that AT&T is directly funding politicians who are fighting against equality and LGBTQ rights.
While AT&T has long touted its inclusive employee policies and support of LGBTQ causes, in 2017 and 2018, AT&T donated a total of $2.755 million to 193 anti-LGBTQ politicians.
- AT&T donated $2 million to Donald Trump’s inaugural committee in 2017
Donald Trump’s 2017 inaugural committee raised a lot of money. A record-setting $107 million, in fact. The more than $2 million that AT&T funneled to Trump stood above the pack: AT&T was the largest corporate donor to the inauguration, and second only to notorious right-wing funder Sheldon Adelson.
In late 2018, it was reported that federal prosecutors were investigating the sources of Trump’s inauguration slush fund to determine if any donors illegally “[gave] money in exchange for political favors.” At the time, AT&T had been seeking approval for a $85.4 billion acquisition of Time Warner.
- AT&T contributed to anti-LGBTQ politicians, including Marsha Blackburn and Ted Cruz
Source: https://www.glaad.org/blog/tennessee-congresswoman-marsha-blackburns-anti-lgbtq-activist-history, https://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/ted-cruz-gay-marriage-ruling-reaction-npr-interview-119559
- AT&T paid Michael Cohen, convicted former lawyer for Donald Trump, $600,000 to advise on various telecommunications matters, even though Cohen seemingly is not an industry expert
- AT&T has opposed net neutrality when it counts
- AT&T profited from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, which detained immigrant children in squalid conditions
- AT&T has helped the NSA spy on internet traffic
- In Nov 2017, AT&T promised 7,000 new jobs to receive a tax break in the billions of dollars. It cut 23,000 jobs instead.