Posted on December 7, 2022
The Fairness Project thanks CREDO members for huge victories on Election Night
Our grantee partners at the Fairness Project help grassroots organizations run ballot initiatives to support working families. In just a few years, the organization has raised wages and brought health care, paid leave and more to over 17.7 million people.
In July 2021, CREDO members voted to donate $50,805 to help the Fairness Project empower voters through ballot initiatives to win progressive policy change for economic, racial, and gender justice by raising wages, expanding Medicaid, guaranteeing paid leave, curbing predatory lending, and more.
And thanks in part to CREDO members, the Fairness Project had an incredible election night winning ballot initiatives across the country. Here’s a quick update from Kelly Hall, the executive director of the Fairness Project, to CREDO members on the organization’s victories during the November midterm election:
I wanted to take a moment to both thank you for your support, and highlight some of the very bright spots from our work at the Fairness Project you helped make possible:
We WON in South Dakota!
- 42,000 South Dakotans now have access to Medicaid coverage, making it the seventh state to expand Medicaid via a voter approved ballot initiative.
We WON in Michigan and Vermont!
- Over 5 million women in Michigan and Vermont have their right to an abortion protected, whichwill also set the stage for more states to protect or restore abortion access next cycle.
We WON in Nebraska!
- We passed a $15 minimum wage, giving a raise to over 150,000 people.
We WON in Arizona!
- We capped interest rates on medical debt and protected millions of Arizonans from losing their homes and savings to debt.
We WON in Arkansas!
- We defeated an extremist attempt to hamstring future ballot measures with a requirement to win with a 60% supermajority, holding open the option to pass progress at the ballot box there for years to come.
I cannot stress this enough: none of this would have happened without your support, in all the ways. Thank you, thank you, thank you.