Posted on May 19, 2022
How to add your personal pronouns to your next Zoom call
Including your pronouns on your video calls is not only an easy way to prevent others from misgendering you, but it also lets others know that you don’t want to misgender them, while creating a more welcoming space for your colleagues and friends who are trans, nonbinary or gender-nonconforming.
In this week’s tip, we’ll show you a few quick steps on how you can include your preferred pronouns on your Zoom calls.
There are two ways to add your pronouns to Zoom — either permanently, so they appear every time you enter a call; or just during certain meetings that you choose.
Before you start, make sure you are running the most recent version of Zoom on your computer or device (here’s how to upgrade).
Adding your pronouns permanently to your Zoom account
- Sign into the Zoom web portal.
- In the navigation, click Profile, then choose Edit.
- In the Pronouns field, add your pronouns.
- In the dropdown field directly below, choose how you would like to share your pronouns:
- Always share in meetings and webinars
- Ask me every time after joining meetings and webinar
- Do not share in meetings and webinars
- Click Save.
Add your pronouns on Zoom during a specific meeting
- Enter your meeting and click Participants.
- Hover over your name and click More >> Rename
- Your name will then appear in a popup box. You can add your pronouns after your name in parentheses — for example, Jane Doe (they/them)