Posted on September 21, 2020
Help us honor Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Like you, we were all so heartbroken when we learned of the passing of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg last Friday evening. For many of us, it will be one of those moments, forever marking a dark day in our memories. Justice Ginsburg was an unrivaled trailblazer for women’s rights, equality and justice for all people, and she was a critical offset to the worst elements of the conservative Supreme Court, and the worst elements of human nature.
Our world is a more just and fair place because of Justice Ginsburg’s incredible, selfless and inspiring work, and she is and will continue to be deeply missed by all of us.
We at CREDO also join our allies in the incredible anxiety being felt throughout the progressive community, as her passing also poses an imminent threat to our shared core values — with abortion rights, health care, LGBTQ equality, voting rights, and fundamental civil liberties being just the start — as Donald Trump, Mitch McConnell and their spineless colleagues attempt to ram through her replacement just weeks before a presidential election.
On her deathbed, Justice Ginsburg said, “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.” That’s why, as we mourn her passing, we must also heed her call to take action and fight for the values Justice Ginsburg spent her life working to protect and expand. The stakes are simply too high not to act.
I’m asking that you please join us in this call to action. Here are some ways to make your voice heard, protect our democracy, and fight for Justice Ginsburg’s dying wish:
- Call your senators at (202) 224-3121 and demand they not confirm a new Supreme Court justice until after Inauguration Day.
- Visit our voter information website “CREDO Votes 2020” to check your voter registration, sign up to volunteer with Black Voters Matter, take online trainings with Democracy for America, and write letters to other voters.
- Sign up to be a poll worker for the November 3rd election.
- Sign up to be an Election Protection volunteer to stop voter suppression.
- Join CREDO Mobile or if you’re already a member refer your friends and family, and help us fund our progressive allies who are fighting for voting rights, reproductive freedom, climate justice, equality, civil rights and more.